This is a great list of foods and ideas not just for the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle but anyone who just wants to try new things or limit the amounts of animal based products they consume. Should you find yourself interested or just curious in eating more of a “Plant Based” type diet feel free to check out this information.
You can click here and print out this entire shopping list to help guide you when shopping. Its a great tool especially in the begining.
This is a list of items I ALWAYS keep in my house. Once you have the essential items cooking and meal planning is a breeze.
- Dairy free milks – vanilla unsweeted & plain almond milk / coconut milk/ hemp milk / rice milk
- Coconut milk yogurts – Smooth creamy and many flavors it’s simply delicious!
- Coconut milk based ice creams – OMG! that all I have to say.
- Pure maple syrup – my most favorite sweetener of all time.
- Veganaise – forget mayo this stuff is GREAT!
- Earth balance buttery spread – great for baking, toast, or cooking in general.
- Tofu and Tempeh – these are great for scrambles, or making dishes that you want to substitute ”meat” in
- Vegan “hot dogs” , Lots of veggie burgers and soy free chicken nuggets and patties (for my kids) try the Quorn brand of chicken products amazing!
- Daiya shreds and wedges – omg this stuff is my fave vegan cheese ever!!!!!
- Cliff Bars and lara bars ( I know most are vegan but you may have to double check some flavors)
- Olive oils & Vinegar’s such as balsamic, apple cider, champagne, citrus and fruit flavored
- Nutritional yeast - this stuff is amazing! It’s GREAT for assisting your body in getting enough B vitamins, has fiber taste great sprinkled over salads or pastas and has a nice sweet nutty and at times cheesy flavor. Yum.
- Vega one protein powder – Full of vitamins, probiotics and it’s vegan PLUS its good!
- Nut butters – I love making my own nut butters but when i’m just to busy I favor raw almond butter from Trader Joes and maple peanut butter by peanut butter and co.
- Hummus – endless possibilities with this stuff
- Kombucha – a fermented tea beverage that comes in MANY flavors. It’s slightly fizzy and has a wealth of nutritional benefits
- Grains galore! Quinoa, barley, bulgar, wheat berries, couscous, brown rice, grits, oats, oat bran, millet should i go on?
- TONS of produce – Load UP on the veggies and fruits the more the better! Avocados,yams, onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts, greens such as kale, baby spinach and romaine, squash, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, apples, berries, bananas, pears, melons, pineapple, citrus. The more colorful the better I could go on for days here but I won’t
- Nuts and Seeds – Raw cashews are a staple for me. I make raw cashew cheese, cashew creams and toss them into recipes for texture. Keep a variety of nuts and seeds on hand to add to meals.
- Beans & Legumes – Great source of protein, fiber and other nutrients we need in our diets.