My youngest son has a MAJOR sweet tooth and really loves cookies. Kids will be kids and kids love sweets especially cookies. I tried to figure out something I could make for him without him really knowing that it was healthy and taaaa daaaaa! Please don’t make these expecting them to taste like a cookie that comes in a log roll sold at the grocery store.
These are hearty, healthy and full of good ingredients such as flax, chia and hemp seeds. NO sugar was added to these and they are gluten free. I did add some dark chocolate chips into the mix because hey who doesn’t love some chocolate in their cookie!
These are easily made vegan and feel free to change or adjust flavors or ingredients to your liking. I DO recommend that you allow these cookies to cool COMPLETELY before devouring. I tried one hot and it didn’t have much flavor but after it had cooled down I stuffed my face. True story.
Hope you enjoy them!
Sunbutter trail mix cookies!
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats —-> don’t want oats? Simple just use an extra 1/2 cup of almond flour or any other flour you desire
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts (hemp seeds)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (or any other chocolate you want to use)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- 1/4 cup ghee, coconut oil or organic butter, melted
- 1/2 (heaping – that means a HUGE scoop) cup sunflower butter (may also substitute peanut butter or almond butter)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, raw honey or raw agave) these cookies are NOT overly sweet. If you desire a sweeter cookie just adjust the sweetener to your liking.)
- 2 organic eggs for vegans use 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water allow to sit 10 minutes and add to wet ingredients
- Pre heat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl add all of the wet ingredients and fold into the dry ingredients.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop out the dough and roll into balls keeping them as close to the same size as possible. Place on the cookie sheet and gently press down with a spoon. These cookies don’t spread so you need to press them down to help them cook evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are starting to turn brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in a sealed container for several days.